Trayicon not working on Ubuntu Oneiric [was: Dependency problem installing synce on Ubuntu 11.10]
Andrea Vai
2012-08-27 21:22:50 UTC
Thank you Mark for your patience. The problem here now is that all seems to
be installed correctly, the trayicon appears, but when I connect my device
and click on the trayicon nothing happens.
I assumed that the instructions about the edit of /etc/network/interfaces
(by adding the line "iface <ethX> inet dhcp") were correct, so I found out
that my device name is eth1 and I added the line to that file. But nothing
changes, even after /etc/init.d/networking restart. BTW, when I enter this
command, it tells me that it "is deprecated because it may not enable again
some interfaces". So I tried with network-manager restart, or even with a
reboot, but still nothing changes.

So, I was wondering about:
- Does editing the interfaces file really matter?
- Does the usb port which I connect my device to even matter? (I tried many
different ports but without any improvement)
- Does a reboot matter?
- I noticed that sometimes, when I connect my device, the network manager
shows the interface as connected. Some other times, it shows it as "device
not managed". Does it matter? Does this have any relationship with the
content of the interface file? I would say yes of course, but actually I
found that the two things happen independently.
- I also noticed that in my production environment (ubuntu 10.04, where
synce works well) every time I connect my device the network manager shows
some activity (by the icon in the panel that seems to indicate that it is
trying to find some networks). Here I noticed that sometimes it does happen
the same thing, and sometimes else it does not.

So, I am here to ask you and the list how I can troubleshoot this behaviour
more deeply. dmesg |tail seems not to be very helpful (to me):

[ 134.628050] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[ 134.882817] rndis_host 3-1:1.0: RNDIS_MSG_QUERY(0x00010202) failed, -47
[ 134.893652] rndis_host 3-1:1.0: eth1: register 'rndis_host' at
usb-0000:00:10.1-1, RNDIS device (poll status before control),
80:00:60:0f:e8:00
[ 146.104030] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
[ 205.744067] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[ 205.744422] rndis_host 3-1:1.0: eth1: unregister 'rndis_host'
usb-0000:00:10.1-1, RNDIS device (poll status before control)
[ 210.780055] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd
[ 211.033803] rndis_host 3-2:1.0: RNDIS_MSG_QUERY(0x00010202) failed, -47
[ 211.044619] rndis_host 3-2:1.0: eth1: register 'rndis_host' at
usb-0000:00:10.1-2, RNDIS device (poll status before control),
80:00:60:0f:e8:00
[ 221.632023] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

The only strange thing seems to be that "failed, -47" but I have not set
much importance on it because i found the same line in my production
environment (Ubuntu Lucid), where synce works fine.

Thank you again, every small hint would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Andrea
Thank you Mark, I removed synce-hal and tried to install
synce-connector but it depends on librapi2 too. So I was still stuck
there but I eventually manage to install librapi2 by removing
libsynce0 first. Now I can install successfully synce-hal as well as
synce-connector and I decided to remove synce-hal and keep
synce-connector following your suggestion.
That's a bit strange, but as long as everything is now installed it
should be ok.
Is there a place where I can find some up-to-date instructions that I
can follow to complete the installation?
I don't think so, I think it's just me these days, and I barely have
time to keep the software up to date :( Just do your best, and ask
questions here when you need to.
Thank you very much!
Andrea
Hello All,
excuse me but I am trying to install synce on Ubuntu Oneiric
and I think
I need some help.
http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceInstallation/Ubuntu/ModernDevice
It seems to me that everything has been ok until I issue the
sudo apt-get install synce-hal librra-tools librapi2-tools
Those instructions are out of date, try replacing synce-hal
with
synce-connector.
the command output says that there are bad packets or
unsatisfied
dependencies (sorry for the translation from Italian)
librapi2-tools : Depends: librapi2 (=
0.15.2-0ubuntu0~ppa1~oneiric1) but
it is not going to be installed
Depends: libsynce0
(>= 0.15) but it is not going to be installed
and if I try
sudo apt-get install libsynce0
it says that libsynce0 is already at the most recent version
so, where I am wrong? How may I solve the problem? If anyone
could give
me a hint I would be very happy
thank you very much!
Andrea
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security
and
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest
in malware
threats.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/
Questa informativa è inserita in automatico dal sistema al fine
esclusivo della realizzazione dei fini istituzionali dell'ente.
Diventa anche tu sponsor dei nostri ricercatori. Scegli di destinare
il 5 per mille all’Università di Pavia: offrirai nuove opportunità
alla ricerca, ai giovani e al territorio. Un gesto che non costa nulla
e costruisce tanto. C.F. dell’Università di Pavia 80007270186.
Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals
filing Italian income tax returns.

per mille all’Università di Pavia <http://www.unipv.it/>: offrirai nuove

Italian income tax returns.
Mark Ellis
2012-08-30 19:56:21 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you Mark for your patience. The problem here now is that all
seems to be installed correctly, the trayicon appears, but when I
connect my device and click on the trayicon nothing happens.
Trayicon is not your first option for troubleshooting, whenever you need
to test something you'll get far more useful ideas from the command line
tools, like synce-pls.
Post by Andrea Vai
I assumed that the instructions about the edit
of /etc/network/interfaces (by adding the line "iface <ethX> inet
dhcp") were correct, so I found out that my device name is eth1 and I
added the line to that file. But nothing changes, even
after /etc/init.d/networking restart. BTW, when I enter this command,
it tells me that it "is deprecated because it may not enable again
some interfaces". So I tried with network-manager restart, or even
with a reboot, but still nothing changes.
Not sure when it's necessary and when it isn't, it's changed as network
manager has. Leave it like that for now.
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does editing the interfaces file really matter?
See above, not sure.
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does the usb port which I connect my device to even matter? (I tried
many different ports but without any improvement)
Doesn't matter
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does a reboot matter?
Nope
Post by Andrea Vai
- I noticed that sometimes, when I connect my device, the network
manager shows the interface as connected. Some other times, it shows
it as "device not managed". Does it matter? Does this have any
relationship with the content of the interface file? I would say yes
of course, but actually I found that the two things happen
independently.
See above, network manager makes life complicated.
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
That's normal from dmesg.

So the first thing to ask is, does synce-pls work ?
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
Questa informativa Ú inserita in automatico dal sistema al
Andrea Vai
2012-08-30 21:30:19 UTC
Hi Mark and the list, and thank you Mark for your reply.
synce-pls does not work, and I omitted it in my previous message because I
have a password set on my mobile device, and afaik the only way to connect
to a password-protected device is by using the trayicon... If there is a
command line tool that can ask me for the password and authenticate me with
my device please tell me what it is because I don't know.

Actually, now I have tried synce-pls with debug-level 3 and the output is

[get_connection_from_udev:435] get_connection_from_udev: Failed to get a
connection for Andrea_Vai: Not authenticated, you need to call
ProvidePassword with the correct password.
[synce_socket_write:307] Invalid file descriptor
[rapi_buffer_send:561] synce_socket_write failed
[rapi2_context_call:752] rapi_buffer_send failed
Unable to get the "My Documents" path.

BTW, I have just disabled the password on my device and tried to connect.
Still does not work:

***@andrea-desktop:~$ synce-pls -d 3
** Message: No devices connected to dccm
synce-pls: Could not find configuration at path '(Default)'

Double-checked for something set at the firewall level, but it seems ok:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Again, thank you very much for your help

Andrea
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does the usb port which I connect my device to even matter? (I tried
many different ports but without any improvement)
Doesn't matter
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does a reboot matter?
Nope

Italian income tax returns.
Mark Ellis
2012-09-05 15:36:57 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi Mark and the list, and thank you Mark for your reply.
synce-pls does not work, and I omitted it in my previous message
because I have a password set on my mobile device, and afaik the only
way to connect to a password-protected device is by using the
trayicon... If there is a command line tool that can ask me for the
password and authenticate me with my device please tell me what it is
because I don't know.
connector installs a script called synce-unlock for this, but it's best
to test without a password if there are problems.
Post by Andrea Vai
Actually, now I have tried synce-pls with debug-level 3 and the output is
[get_connection_from_udev:435] get_connection_from_udev: Failed to get
a connection for Andrea_Vai: Not authenticated, you need to call
ProvidePassword with the correct password.
[synce_socket_write:307] Invalid file descriptor
[rapi_buffer_send:561] synce_socket_write failed
[rapi2_context_call:752] rapi_buffer_send failed
Unable to get the "My Documents" path.
BTW, I have just disabled the password on my device and tried to connect.
** Message: No devices connected to dccm
synce-pls: Could not find configuration at path '(Default)'
Are there any messages from dccm in /var/log/daemon.log ?
Post by Andrea Vai
many different ports but without any improvement)
Doesn't matter
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does a reboot matter?
Nope
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 134.628050] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device number 3
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 210.780055] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device number 4
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
ask
questions here when you need to.
Thank you very much!
Andrea
On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 08:59 +0200, Andrea
Post by Andrea Vai
Italian)
librapi2-tools : Depends: librapi2 (=
0.15.2-0ubuntu0~ppa1~oneiric1) but
it is not going to be installed
and if I try to install librapi2 it
Depends: libsynce0
(>= 0.15) but it is not going to be
installed
Andrea Vai
2012-09-05 23:43:33 UTC
Thank you Mark, I have made some further tests following your suggestion...
and I am a little bit confused now.

First of all, I removed the password from my device, so from now on assume
that it is not password protected(*).

I tried to connect my device after having removed the password, to check
the daemon.log file. Result: daemon.log is completely empty, but synce-pls
works. This seems not consistent with my last tries (see my previous
message). Anyway, the trayicon does not show any change/activity even if I
click on it (either before or after the connection).

By the way, I tried to unplug and re-plug the device, and I experienced the
same error I got before (synce-pls: Could not find configuration at path
'(Default)'). But after waiting a few seconds synce-pls was working. I can
guess that I did not wait enough when I tried last week, but I am almost
sure that I did wait for some seconds, at least. But, obviously, I could be
wrong.

So, it seems that all is working but the trayicon. Actually, I wouldn't
need it as far as I can do, using the command line, anything it can do (for
example: can I mount the filesystem of the device by command line? Is there
a way to have the password masked when I type it at the synce-unlock
prompt? Is there a way to have it stored and not asked any more?) , but I
think that it would be nice to understand what's the problem there, and
have it solved.

(*)Finally, I decided to temporary set the password in the device, then
used the synce-unlock command and synce-pls worked. Again, the trayicon
does not work and this confirm my suspects that the trayicon may be the
only thing that is not working properly.

BTW, the trayicon is version 0.15.
PS I tried also to run the trayicon in foreground with debug level 5, then
connect the device. The output does not say anything remarkable to me:

** (synce-trayicon:2398): DEBUG: Running in foreground
** (synce-trayicon:2398): DEBUG: module_load_all: loading module
/usr/lib/synce-trayicon/
modules/test-mod.so
** (synce-trayicon:2398): DEBUG: g_module_check_init: running from trayicon
test module for /usr/lib/synce-trayicon/modules/test-mod.so
** (synce-trayicon:2398): DEBUG: trayicon_activate_cb: synce trayicon
activated

(the last line appeared when I clicked on the trayicon).

Post by Andrea Vai
many different ports but without any improvement)
Doesn't matter
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does a reboot matter?
Nope
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 134.628050] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device number 3
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 210.780055] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device number 4
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you again, every small hint would be greatly
appreciated.
Post by Andrea Vai
Best regards
Andrea
--
------------------------------

Italian income tax returns.
Mark Ellis
2012-09-06 09:18:28 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
dccm and all the connection scripts definitely aren't perfect at the
moment, sometimes it just gets locked up and needs killing and starting
again.
Post by Andrea Vai
So, it seems that all is working but the trayicon. Actually, I
wouldn't need it as far as I can do, using the command line, anything
it can do (for example: can I mount the filesystem of the device by
command line?
There's a tool called fur, which can mount the filesystem of the device
using fuse. There's an older version in the launchpad PPA which should
work ok, or you can get the latest version from the synce sourceforge
page.
Post by Andrea Vai
Is there a way to have the password masked when I type it at the
synce-unlock prompt? Is there a way to have it stored and not asked
any more?) , but I think that it would be nice to understand what's
the problem there, and have it solved.
synce-unlock is pretty basic, i just knocked it up quickly to have
something to use, it doesn't do anything special. trayicon stores the
password, if it works.
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
trayicon just isn't seeing any device at all. What ubuntu version are
you using ? And did you say you were using synce-hal or
synce-connector ? What version of that ?
Post by Andrea Vai
Actually, now I have tried synce-pls with debug-level 3 and
the output
Post by Andrea Vai
is
Failed to get
Post by Andrea Vai
ProvidePassword with the correct password.
[synce_socket_write:307] Invalid file descriptor
[rapi_buffer_send:561] synce_socket_write failed
[rapi2_context_call:752] rapi_buffer_send failed
Unable to get the "My Documents" path.
BTW, I have just disabled the password on my device and
tried to
connect.
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you Mark for your patience. The problem here
now is
Post by Andrea Vai
that all
Post by Andrea Vai
seems to be installed correctly, the trayicon
appears, but
Post by Andrea Vai
when I
Post by Andrea Vai
whenever you need
to test something you'll get far more useful ideas
from the
Post by Andrea Vai
command line
tools, like synce-pls.
Post by Andrea Vai
I assumed that the instructions about the edit
of /etc/network/interfaces (by adding the line
"iface <ethX>
Post by Andrea Vai
inet
Post by Andrea Vai
dhcp") were correct, so I found out that my device
name is
Post by Andrea Vai
eth1 and I
Post by Andrea Vai
Post by Andrea Vai
after /etc/init.d/networking restart. BTW, when I
enter this
Post by Andrea Vai
command,
Post by Andrea Vai
it tells me that it "is deprecated because it may
not enable
Post by Andrea Vai
again
Post by Andrea Vai
some interfaces". So I tried with network-manager
restart,
Post by Andrea Vai
or even
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does the usb port which I connect my device to
even
Post by Andrea Vai
matter? (I tried
Post by Andrea Vai
many different ports but without any improvement)
Doesn't matter
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does a reboot matter?
Nope
Post by Andrea Vai
- I noticed that sometimes, when I connect my
device, the
Post by Andrea Vai
network
Post by Andrea Vai
manager shows the interface as connected. Some
other times,
Post by Andrea Vai
it shows
Post by Andrea Vai
it as "device not managed". Does it matter? Does
this have
Post by Andrea Vai
any
Post by Andrea Vai
relationship with the content of the interface
file? I would
Post by Andrea Vai
say yes
Post by Andrea Vai
- I also noticed that in my production environment
(ubuntu
Post by Andrea Vai
10.04,
Post by Andrea Vai
where synce works well) every time I connect my
device the
Post by Andrea Vai
network
Post by Andrea Vai
manager shows some activity (by the icon in the
panel that
Post by Andrea Vai
seems to
Post by Andrea Vai
indicate that it is trying to find some networks).
Here I
Post by Andrea Vai
noticed that
Post by Andrea Vai
sometimes it does happen the same thing, and
sometimes else
Post by Andrea Vai
it does
Post by Andrea Vai
not.
So, I am here to ask you and the list how I can
troubleshoot
Post by Andrea Vai
this
Post by Andrea Vai
behaviour more deeply. dmesg |tail seems not to be
very
Post by Andrea Vai
helpful (to
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 134.628050] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device
number 3
Post by Andrea Vai
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
usb-0000:00:10.1-1, RNDIS device (poll status
before
Post by Andrea Vai
control),
Post by Andrea Vai
80:00:60:0f:e8:00
[ 146.104030] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
[ 205.744067] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device
number 3
unregister
Post by Andrea Vai
'rndis_host'
Post by Andrea Vai
usb-0000:00:10.1-1, RNDIS device (poll status
before
Post by Andrea Vai
control)
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 210.780055] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device
number 4
Post by Andrea Vai
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
usb-0000:00:10.1-2, RNDIS device (poll status
before
Post by Andrea Vai
control),
Post by Andrea Vai
The only strange thing seems to be that "failed,
-47" but I
Post by Andrea Vai
have not
Post by Andrea Vai
set much importance on it because i found the same
line in
Post by Andrea Vai
my
Post by Andrea Vai
production environment (Ubuntu Lucid), where synce
works
Post by Andrea Vai
fine.
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you again, every small hint would be greatly
appreciated.
Post by Andrea Vai
Best regards
Andrea
Andrea Vai
2012-09-06 21:43:29 UTC
Hi Mark,
thank you for all the info you have told me.

I am running Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot (11.10).
synce-hal is not installed.
synce-connector is installed, v. 0.15.2-0ubuntu0~ppa1~oneiric1.

Synaptic packet manager lists the following installed files for the package
synce-connector:

/.
/etc
/etc/dbus-1
/etc/dbus-1/system.d
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.synce.dccm.conf
/lib
/lib/udev
/lib/udev/rules.d
/lib/udev/rules.d/85-synce.rules
/lib/udev/synce-udev-rndis
/lib/udev/synce-udev-serial
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/synce-serial
/usr/bin/synce-unlock
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/synce-connector
/usr/lib/synce-connector/dccm
/usr/lib/synce-connector/synce-serial-chat
/usr/share
/usr/share/dbus-1
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.synce.dccm.service
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/synce-connector
/usr/share/doc/synce-connector/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/synce-connector/README
/usr/share/doc/synce-connector/TODO
/usr/share/doc/synce-connector/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/synce-connector/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/synce-connector/copyright
/usr/share/synce-connector
/usr/share/synce-connector/dhclient.conf
/usr/share/synce-connector/synceconnector.py
/usr/share/synce-connector/udev-synce-rndis
/usr/share/synce-connector/udev-synce-serial

Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you Mark, I have made some further tests following your
[...]
Post by Andrea Vai
Actually, now I have tried synce-pls with debug-level 3 and
the output
Post by Andrea Vai
is
Failed to get
Post by Andrea Vai
ProvidePassword with the correct password.
[synce_socket_write:307] Invalid file descriptor
[rapi_buffer_send:561] synce_socket_write failed
[rapi2_context_call:752] rapi_buffer_send failed
Unable to get the "My Documents" path.
BTW, I have just disabled the password on my device and
tried to
connect.
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you Mark for your patience. The problem here
now is
Post by Andrea Vai
that all
Post by Andrea Vai
seems to be installed correctly, the trayicon
appears, but
Post by Andrea Vai
when I
Post by Andrea Vai
whenever you need
to test something you'll get far more useful ideas
from the
Post by Andrea Vai
command line
tools, like synce-pls.
Post by Andrea Vai
I assumed that the instructions about the edit
of /etc/network/interfaces (by adding the line
"iface <ethX>
Post by Andrea Vai
inet
Post by Andrea Vai
dhcp") were correct, so I found out that my device
name is
Post by Andrea Vai
eth1 and I
Post by Andrea Vai
Post by Andrea Vai
after /etc/init.d/networking restart. BTW, when I
enter this
Post by Andrea Vai
command,
Post by Andrea Vai
it tells me that it "is deprecated because it may
not enable
Post by Andrea Vai
again
Post by Andrea Vai
some interfaces". So I tried with network-manager
restart,
Post by Andrea Vai
or even
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does the usb port which I connect my device to
even
Post by Andrea Vai
matter? (I tried
Post by Andrea Vai
many different ports but without any improvement)
Doesn't matter
Post by Andrea Vai
- Does a reboot matter?
Nope
Post by Andrea Vai
- I noticed that sometimes, when I connect my
device, the
Post by Andrea Vai
network
Post by Andrea Vai
manager shows the interface as connected. Some
other times,
Post by Andrea Vai
it shows
Post by Andrea Vai
it as "device not managed". Does it matter? Does
this have
Post by Andrea Vai
any
Post by Andrea Vai
relationship with the content of the interface
file? I would
Post by Andrea Vai
say yes
Post by Andrea Vai
- I also noticed that in my production environment
(ubuntu
Post by Andrea Vai
10.04,
Post by Andrea Vai
where synce works well) every time I connect my
device the
Post by Andrea Vai
network
Post by Andrea Vai
manager shows some activity (by the icon in the
panel that
Post by Andrea Vai
seems to
Post by Andrea Vai
indicate that it is trying to find some networks).
Here I
Post by Andrea Vai
noticed that
Post by Andrea Vai
sometimes it does happen the same thing, and
sometimes else
Post by Andrea Vai
it does
Post by Andrea Vai
not.
So, I am here to ask you and the list how I can
troubleshoot
Post by Andrea Vai
this
Post by Andrea Vai
behaviour more deeply. dmesg |tail seems not to be
very
Post by Andrea Vai
helpful (to
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 134.628050] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device
number 3
Post by Andrea Vai
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
usb-0000:00:10.1-1, RNDIS device (poll status
before
Post by Andrea Vai
control),
Post by Andrea Vai
80:00:60:0f:e8:00
[ 146.104030] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
[ 205.744067] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device
number 3
unregister
Post by Andrea Vai
'rndis_host'
Post by Andrea Vai
usb-0000:00:10.1-1, RNDIS device (poll status
before
Post by Andrea Vai
control)
Post by Andrea Vai
[ 210.780055] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device
number 4
Post by Andrea Vai
using
uhci_hcd
Post by Andrea Vai
usb-0000:00:10.1-2, RNDIS device (poll status
before
Post by Andrea Vai
control),
Post by Andrea Vai
The only strange thing seems to be that "failed,
-47" but I
Post by Andrea Vai
have not
Post by Andrea Vai
set much importance on it because i found the same
line in
Post by Andrea Vai
my
Post by Andrea Vai
production environment (Ubuntu Lucid), where synce
works
Post by Andrea Vai
fine.
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you again, every small hint would be greatly
appreciated.
Post by Andrea Vai
Best regards
Andrea