sync problems using msynctool on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Andrea Vai
2011-01-14 23:42:59 UTC
Hello List, here's my story:
I've been using opensync and msynctool successfully for many time with
Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04). Then I decided to upgrade to Maverick, and
after the upgrade I wasn't able to sync anymore (I sent a message to
this list as well for that problem, and I am still trying to solve
it).
Before the upgrade, I had performed a backup of the system drive, to
be able to revert to Lucid if needed. So after I realized that
Maverick wasn't working, I copied the Maverick installation to another
hardware (to keep investigating it) and restored the Lucid backup on
the original hardware: I really need to sync my stuff frequently, so I
prefer to use Lucid for now, and possibly upgrade to Maverick only
when I'm sure that it works.
Well, sorry for the long preamble but now you know all the antefacts,
The problem now is: Lucid doesn't sync any more :-(
synce-pls works correctly.
Here's the output of msynctool:
Synchronizing group "JJ2Evo"
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
Member 1 of type evo2-sync just connected
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
All clients connected or error
DEBUG:SynCE:get_changeinfo() called
INFO:SynCE:initiating device synchronization
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py",
line 152, in get_changeinfo
self._TriggerSync()
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py",
line 117, in _TriggerSync
self.engine.Synchronize()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 620, in
call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.NoBoundPartnership:
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin had an error while getting
changes: Error during get_changeinfo() method
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 1 of type evo2-sync just sent all changes
Member 1 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members

I am really getting crazy because it seems that something has gone
wrong with the restore, but all the other software of the system is
working fine.
I have already searched the Internet for a solution, but I didn't find
anything useful (well, only an answer from Mark to someone having the
same problem, but with no follow-ups). Can anyone help me please?

Thank you very much in advance
Best regards,
Andrea

Running Ubuntu 10.04 on amd64 and WM5 on i-mate JasJar
Mark Ellis
2011-01-15 11:43:58 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
No matching partnership can be found between synce and the device. Have
you deleted or modified the partnership while trying to use maverick ?

Playing around with syncing and then reverting back only one side of a
sync arrangement will almost vertainly cause you problems.
Andrea Vai
2011-01-17 07:06:05 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
Well, I was already almost sure I hadn't done anything like that because
I was too scared to lose my data on the PDA. Now I have been able to
show my command history on the Maverick PC, and indeed I can't find
trace of commands that could have modified the partnership, afaik.
So, I would swear I didn't modifiy the partnership, and I DO swear I
didn't delete it ;-)
Do you think there's a better way to be sure of that (i.e., inspecting
some file's modification time?)

Thanks,
Andrea
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Andrea Vai
2011-01-19 08:22:58 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
Well, according to my solution that I posted in reply to Lionel, it
seems that you were correct: I messed up something but I don't know
exactly what and when.

Thank you
Andrea
Andrea Vai
2011-01-19 07:53:15 UTC
Thank you Lionel, your instructions helped me to solve the problem.
I am now able to sync again.

Thank you very much! :-)
Andrea
Hi Andrea and the list,
My configuration is Ubuntu 10.04 (now) with Evolution 2.28.3 synching an
HTC polaris (special rom M. Amine 2.0 with WM 6.1).
I went trough some same problem as you. My synching was working on lucid
and no more after upgrade on maverick (Synce-pls was ok, I could see the
files on the PDA but non sync with this message "Member 2 of type
evo2-sync had an error while getting changes: Broken Pipe" and a the end
"Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members"). I
finally installed back lucid but the problem stayed.
I deinstalled everything concerning synce and opensync (configuration
files too, and I erased the folser .synce .opensync in my home. I erased
all temporally files and so with unbuntu tweak.
Teh I created in Evolution new (empty) contact list, calendar and tasks.
After that I installed again everything concerning synce and opensync
and I configure the sync (using graphik interface multisync-gui) saying
that it is the news and empty calendar and so that have to be sync the
my PDA. And it works ! All the content of my PDA sync to the new
calendar and so. And now the sync is working both side.
I Hope it will help.
Lionel
Mark Ellis
2011-01-23 21:46:43 UTC
Lionel, I'm trying to track down a problem, can you send the output of

msynctool --showgroup <groupname>

Andrea, can you please do the same.
Andrea Vai
2011-01-24 09:19:49 UTC
Hello Mark, here's my one
Bye,
Andrea

***@andrea-desktop:~$ msynctool --showgroup JJ2Evo
Groupname: JJ2Evo
Member 1: synce-opensync-plugin
No Configuration found: Member has not been configured
Member 2: evo2-sync
Configuration : <config>
<address_path>default</address_path>
<calendar_path>default</calendar_path>
<tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
</config>
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Lionel
2011-01-26 14:55:34 UTC
Lionel, I'm trying to track down a problem, can you send the output of

msynctool --showgroup <groupname>

Andrea, can you please do the same.

Hello Mark and the list, here is the output (from the working sync):
***@lionel-laptop:~$ msynctool --showgroup HTC
Groupname: HTC
Member 2: evo2-sync
Configuration : <?xml version="1.0"?>