SynCE -opensuse 11.4 / WM 6.1
Tom
2011-07-17 20:25:10 UTC
Hello,
I tried to install and run SyCE but failed during installation, may be in
sychronisation configuration?
Your answer in simple words will be appreciated very much – I am beginner in
Linux.
As manuals I used this two here:
http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceInstallation/OpenSuse
and
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Synce

My OS: Opensuse 11.4 - 32 bit and firewall is off
PDA HTC_3450 what is a HTC Touch running WM 6.1

PDA is running under Win-XP & active sync, I expect no hardware probs.
Synce-kpm was installed from:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/system:/SynCE/openSUSE_11.4/

What happened
a) If synce is started first time and PDA device later plug in the PDA is
regonized with message
PDA HTC_3450 is connected.
But I cannot continue with next steps for sychronisation

b) PDA device after hot plug: no pop up of SynCE window.
c) When SynCE is started sometimes – not allways an error message orrcurs
in SynCE KDE PDA :
Make sure Syn-Engine is running
Not fully understanding I followed this steps from manual successfully until
config file

msynctool --listplugins
You should see something similar to
Available plugins:
file-sync
synce-opensync-plugin

Now enter
msynctool --addgroup synce-file msynctool --addmember synce-file file-sync
msynctool --addmember synce-file synce-opensync-plugin

Some plugins, like the file sync plugin, need to be configured before they
will work. Entering the following command will open the plugin's configuration
file in $EDITOR
msynctool --configure synce-file 1
(what is to do here???)

Once all of that is set up, try and sync!
msynctool --sync synce-file

So I did all above and the following commands:
#:~> msynctool --sync synce-file
Synchronizing group "synce-file"
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to get config data: Member has not been
configured

#:~> msynctool --sync synce-file
Additionally installed to test if easier to understand:
multisync-gui 0.91
Error: Not synchronized yet

I think this is again a missing configuration – but what to fill in?

Settings forMember file-sync

?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<!-- directory path for file-sync -->
<path></path>
<!-- should care of subdirectories (TRUE or FALSE) -->
<recursive>FALSE</recursive>
</config>

Thank you in advance for your advices.
Tejas Guruswamy
2011-07-18 18:08:14 UTC
Post by Tom
[...]
Did you run this command? It opens up a command-line text editor to
configure the plugin. See below.
Post by Tom
Once all of that is set up, try and sync!
msynctool --sync synce-file
#:~> msynctool --sync synce-file
Synchronizing group "synce-file"
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to get config data: Member has not been
configured
#:~> msynctool --sync synce-file
multisync-gui 0.91
Error: Not synchronized yet
I think this is again a missing configuration – but what to fill in?
Settings forMember file-sync
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<!-- directory path for file-sync -->
<path></path>
<!-- should care of subdirectories (TRUE or FALSE) -->
<recursive>FALSE</recursive>
</config>
^^^ This is what needs filling in. in between the <path> elements type
the location of the directory you want to sync to.

For example if i wanted to sync to "/home/tejas/pda" my configuration
would look like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<!-- directory path for file-sync -->
<path>/home/tejas/pda</path>
<!-- should care of subdirectories (TRUE or FALSE) -->
<recursive>FALSE</recursive>
</config>

Let me know if you need further explanation
Regards,
Tejas
Tom
2011-07-19 22:25:20 UTC
Hello,

I did like you answered:

^^^ This is what needs filling in. in between the <path> elements type
the location of the directory you want to sync to.

For example if i wanted to sync to "/home/tejas/pda" my configuration
would look like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<!-- directory path for file-sync -->
<path>/home/tejas/pda</path>
<!-- should care of subdirectories (TRUE or FALSE) -->
<recursive>FALSE</recursive>
</config>

Let me know if you need further explanation
Regards,
Tejas

Indeed, the communication seems to almost ready-the icon of SynCE pops up
if PDA´s active sync button is pushed.
But there seems to be an error:
#:~> msynctool --sync frank
Synchronizing group "frank"
The previous synchronization was unclean. Slow-syncing
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
Member 2 of type file-sync just connected
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
All clients connected or error
DEBUG:SynCE:get_changeinfo() called
DEBUG:SynCE:slow sync requested for Contacts
DEBUG:SynCE:slow sync requested for Calendar
DEBUG:SynCE:slow sync requested for Tasks
INFO:SynCE:initiating device synchronization
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py", line 152,
in get_changeinfo
self._TriggerSync()
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py", line 117,
in _TriggerSync
self.engine.Synchronize()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in
call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.NoBoundPartnership:
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin had an error while getting changes:
Error during get_changeinfo() method
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 2 of type file-sync just sent all changes
Member 2 of type file-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members
#:~>

Similar error with multisync-gui

What to do?
Tejas Guruswamy
2011-07-20 06:44:02 UTC
Post by Tom
Hello,
[...]
You don't have a sync partnership with the device. Are you in KDE? If
so, use synce-kpm (click it in the system tray -> Partnership manager ->
Add)
Otherwise use synce-trayicon (should be a similar workflow)

Regards,
Tejas
Tom
2011-07-20 21:52:07 UTC
Post by Tejas Guruswamy
You don't have a sync partnership with the device. Are you in KDE? If
so, use synce-kpm (click it in the system tray -> Partnership manager ->
Add)
Otherwise use synce-trayicon (should be a similar workflow)
Regards,
Tejas
Hello again,

I use KDE 4.6 and SynCE KDE PDA Manager v 0.15

When linked now, PDA and SyCE KDE PDA Manger show their symbols - connected.
I am asked to create a new partnership with partnership manager -fine.

After creating a name (f.e. "frank" or "test"...) and choosing to sychronize-
here f.e. calendar- the settings are not saved, nothing happens, no error.

PDA status:
is allowed to sychronize via USB and has one partnership free.

Sorry to take your time again. CouldnŽt find other postings with answers for
beginners.

By the way:
Will it cause trouble to remove the network manager of Opensuse 11.4?
It blocks the browser after PDA plug in . I have no WLAN.

Regards,
Tom
Tejas Guruswamy
2011-07-21 06:30:04 UTC
Post by Tom
Post by Tejas Guruswamy
You don't have a sync partnership with the device. Are you in KDE? If
so, use synce-kpm (click it in the system tray -> Partnership manager ->
Add)
Otherwise use synce-trayicon (should be a similar workflow)
Regards,
Tejas
Hello again,
I use KDE 4.6 and SynCE KDE PDA Manager v 0.15
When linked now, PDA and SyCE KDE PDA Manger show their symbols - connected.
I am asked to create a new partnership with partnership manager -fine.
After creating a name (f.e. "frank" or "test"...) and choosing to
sychronize- here f.e. calendar- the settings are not saved, nothing
happens, no error.
What happens if you go back to msynctool now, and run "msynctool --sync
synce-file" ?
Post by Tom
is allowed to sychronize via USB and has one partnership free.
Sorry to take your time again. CouldnŽt find other postings with
answers for beginners.
Will it cause trouble to remove the network manager of Opensuse 11.4?
It blocks the browser after PDA plug in . I have no WLAN.
Don't remove NetworkManager, otherwise you will always have no WLAN! See
the info here: http://en.opensuse.org/SynCE#Connection, specifically the
bit about "dhcp default route". You'll need to edit
/etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp as root -- type on the command line 'kdesu
kwrite /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp'

Regards,
Tejas
Tom
2011-07-22 22:07:02 UTC
Post by Tejas Guruswamy
Don't remove NetworkManager, otherwise you will always have no WLAN! See
the info here: http://en.opensuse.org/SynCE#Connection, specifically the
bit about "dhcp default route". You'll need to edit
/etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp as root -- type on the command line 'kdesu
kwrite /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp'
Hello Teja,
this can be done later - I failed some days before with this.

But here the answer to your question:

#:~> msynctool --sync frank
Synchronizing group "frank"
The previous synchronization was unclean. Slow-syncing
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
Member 1 of type file-sync just connected
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
[...]
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin had an error while getting changes:
Error during get_changeinfo() method
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 1 of type file-sync just sent all changes
Member 1 of type file-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members
#~>

Additionally tested:
After sleep mode of pda and new awaking sync-engine has to be started always
manually in terminal:

#:~> sync-engine
SynCE sync-engine starting up
2011-07-22 23:33:02,419 DEBUG syncengine : running main loop
2011-07-22 23:33:02,420 DEBUG syncengine : creating SyncEngine object
2011-07-22 23:33:02,429 ERROR dbus.proxies : Introspect error on
:1.57:/org/synce/dccm/DeviceManager: dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched
rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.159" (uid=1000 pid=5428
comm="/usr/bin/python) interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable"
member="Introspect" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=":1.57"
(uid=0 pid=3885 comm="/usr/lib/synce-connector/dccm))
2011-07-22 23:33:02,430 DEBUG dbus.proxies : Executing introspect queue due to
error
2011-07-22 23:33:02,431 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : _UdevConnect:
connected device found
2011-07-22 23:33:02,431 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel :
_CBUdevDeviceConnected: device connected at path
/org/synce/dccm/Device/_devices_pci0000_00_0000_00_02_0_usb2_2_6_2_6_1_0_net_eth1
2011-07-22 23:33:02,433 INFO engine.config.Config : UpdateConfig - unable to
open config file /home/frank/.synce/syncengine.conf.xml ([Errno 2] No such
file or directory: '/home/frank/.synce/syncengine.conf.xml') - using defaults
2011-07-22 23:33:02,436 ERROR dbus.proxies : Introspect error on
:1.57:/org/synce/dccm/Device/_devices_pci0000_00_0000_00_02_0_usb2_2_6_2_6_1_0_net_eth1:
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied:
Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.159"
(uid=1000 pid=5428 comm="/usr/bin/python)
interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error
name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=":1.57" (uid=0 pid=3885
comm="/usr/lib/synce-connector/dccm))
2011-07-22 23:33:02,436 DEBUG dbus.proxies : Executing introspect queue due to
error
2011-07-22 23:33:02,437 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : device HTC_P3450
connected
2011-07-22 23:33:02,438 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : ProcessAuth :
processing authorization for device 'HTC_P3450'
2011-07-22 23:33:02,439 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : ProcessAuth:
authorization not required for device 'HTC_P3450'
2011-07-22 23:33:02,439 DEBUG engine.syncengine.kernel : OnConnect: setting up
RAPI session
** Message: Hal reports no devices connected
** Message: Odccm is not running, ignoring
[synce_info_from_file:96] unable to open file:
/home/frank/.synce/active_connection
2011-07-22 23:33:02,444 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : _UdevConnect: failed
to connect to dccm: -2147467259: An unspecified failure has occurred
2011-07-22 23:33:02,448 DEBUG syncengine : installing signal handlers

Other infos:
#:~> msynctool --listobjects
Available objtypes:
contact