Help installing opensync plugins from source
Andrea Vai
2010-12-30 11:19:42 UTC
Hi, my name is Andrea and I'm quite new to Linux, so please be patient
with me and sorry if I post a question in the wrong place; if that's the
case, I apologise. Also, sorry for my English.

I used to synchronise successfully my evolution calendar and contacts
with my PDA, running msynctool in Ubuntu 10.04. Today I upgraded to
Ubuntu Maverick and, as far as I can understand, msynctool is no longer
supported by Ubuntu. So I believe I can install it by myself from source
(is that correct?).

So, I downloaded libopensync-0.22 and msynctools-0.22 source packages,
and successfully installed them. Then, AFAIK, I should install the
plugins (evo2-sync-plugin and synce-sync-plugin I guess). So I
downloaded them also, but:

running ./configure for libopensync-plugin-synce-0.22 returns
"configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"

running ./configure for libopensync-plugin-evolution2-0.22 returns
"configure: error: No compatible evolution-data-server was found" (I
checked and found that evolution-data-server-dev seems already installed
on my system)

So, now I was wondering if I should go on investigating these errors, or
I am messing up the whole thing, and decided to ask for help.
Is there a way to get my problem solved? Could I have some hints please?

Note that after the distro upgrade the files of my PDA still do
syncronize with the PDAFiles folder in my ~, even if with some strange
behaviours that were also present before the upgrade.

Thank you,
Andrea
Mark Ellis
2011-01-01 18:41:38 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi, my name is Andrea and I'm quite new to Linux, so please be patient
with me and sorry if I post a question in the wrong place; if that's the
case, I apologise. Also, sorry for my English.
Hiya !
Post by Andrea Vai
I used to synchronise successfully my evolution calendar and contacts
with my PDA, running msynctool in Ubuntu 10.04. Today I upgraded to
Ubuntu Maverick and, as far as I can understand, msynctool is no longer
supported by Ubuntu. So I believe I can install it by myself from source
(is that correct?).
Yes, but there's a better way. Go to

https://launchpad.net/~opensync/+archive/opensync-0.22

and follow the instructions for adding the PPA, then reload the package
list and you should be able to install the old opensync and msynctool.

Mark
Andrea Vai
2011-01-10 14:24:28 UTC
Hi Mark, thank you for your answer. I've been investigating for many
days but not yet come to a solution.
I added the PPA and double-checked it, and it seems to me that it's been
added correctly. I reinstalled msynctool (btw, I don't know which
version it is, because I don't know how to get that information). But
I'm not able to install the plugin for evolution. What's the name of the
package? I thought "libopensync-plugin-evolution2" (read from the PPA
web page), but apt-get tells me it can't find the package.

I also guessed the correct package I had to install was
"opensync-plugin-evolution", so I installed it, but running msynctool
--listplugins returns no available plugins. So, I'm stucked here.

Can you help me please?
Thank you,
Andrea
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
without downtime or disruption
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Mark Ellis
2011-01-13 17:19:10 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi Mark, thank you for your answer. I've been investigating for many
days but not yet come to a solution.
I added the PPA and double-checked it, and it seems to me that it's been
added correctly. I reinstalled msynctool (btw, I don't know which
version it is, because I don't know how to get that information).
From synaptic package manager, in the System->Administration menu
Post by Andrea Vai
But
I'm not able to install the plugin for evolution. What's the name of the
package? I thought "libopensync-plugin-evolution2"
That's for the development version, you want opensync-plugin-evolution.
Synaptic is your friend here as well.
Post by Andrea Vai
(read from the PPA
web page), but apt-get tells me it can't find the package.
I also guessed the correct package I had to install was
"opensync-plugin-evolution", so I installed it
Ah, ok, you found it.
Post by Andrea Vai
, but running msynctool
--listplugins returns no available plugins. So, I'm stucked here.
Look up the versions of libopensync0, opensync-plugin-evolution, and
multisync-tools in synaptic and send them.

Mark
Post by Andrea Vai
Can you help me please?
Thank you,
Andrea
Andrea Vai
2011-01-14 07:39:03 UTC
Hi Mark,

my Synaptic says:

libopensync0 version is "1:0.22-4ubuntu0.1"
opensync-plugin-evolution version is "1:0.22-2ubuntu2"
multisync-tools version is "0.92.0~svn355-2"

Thank you for your help,
Andrea
Mark
Mark Ellis
2011-01-15 11:44:59 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi Mark,
libopensync0 version is "1:0.22-4ubuntu0.1"
opensync-plugin-evolution version is "1:0.22-2ubuntu2"
multisync-tools version is "0.92.0~svn355-2"
What is the full output of msynctool --listplugins ?
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you for your help,
Andrea
Andrea Vai
2011-01-15 20:51:29 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi Mark,
libopensync0 version is "1:0.22-4ubuntu0.1"
opensync-plugin-evolution version is "1:0.22-2ubuntu2"
multisync-tools version is "0.92.0~svn355-2"
What is the full output of msynctool --listplugins ?
here's the command and its sad output:

***@andrea-desktop:~$ msynctool --listplugins
Available plugins:
***@andrea-desktop:~$

Thank you
Andrea
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you for your help,
Andrea
Mark Ellis
2011-01-16 10:58:19 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi Mark,
libopensync0 version is "1:0.22-4ubuntu0.1"
opensync-plugin-evolution version is "1:0.22-2ubuntu2"
multisync-tools version is "0.92.0~svn355-2"
What is the full output of msynctool --listplugins ?
I have no idea why it doesn't list anything. Try installing other
plugins and see if they show up.
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you
Andrea
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Thank you for your help,
Andrea
Andrea Vai
2011-01-16 13:50:46 UTC
I have just installed opensync-plugin-file opensync-plugin-gnokii
opensync-plugin-google-calendar (via apt-get). apt-get command seems
to have installed all parckets correctly, but output of msynctool
--listplugins remains as empty as before.

I don't know if it matters, btw I noticed that after the (in)famous
upgrade to Maverick, the msynctool command auto-completion doesn't
work anymore (pressing TAB returns "bash: _get_comp_words_by_ref():
`anteprev': unknown argument")
Andrea Vai
2011-01-19 08:17:51 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi Mark,
libopensync0 version is "1:0.22-4ubuntu0.1"
opensync-plugin-evolution version is "1:0.22-2ubuntu2"
multisync-tools version is "0.92.0~svn355-2"
What is the full output of msynctool --listplugins ?
I have no idea why it doesn't list anything. Try installing other
plugins and see if they show up.
Eventually, I decided to re-create the partnership. But the problem is
still present.
Before deleting the partnership, I created a second partnership with
another PC with Maverick and all went fine. Then I did the following on
the PC that shows the problem:
- deleted the first ("original") partnership
- removed all synce related packages, including all plugins
- removed folders .synce, .opensync, .opensync-0.22, .multisync from ~
- reinstalled synce according to the wiki (the same way I did on the
"other PC with Maverick", which had completed successfully)
(Note that I have saved all the commands I issued in the terminal, and I
can post them if needed)

but the problem remains: msynctools --listplugins shows none.

At present I have successfully downgraded my production PC to Lucid, and
managed to sync successfully. So, the problem does not block my work
anymore. But I am still keeping alive a test PC that shows the problem,
so I could make some further testing if it's considered useful.

Best Regards
Andrea
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai