Using an Android cell phone as a PDA
Hank Ivy
2011-01-19 18:30:26 UTC
Please offer advice on using an Android-based cell phone as a PDA, with a Linux desktop system
as my primary home system. Technically, my needs are limited, just a list of contacts,
appointments, and notes. I want to appear organized and professional in front of my clients.

My Google searches lead me to a lot of sites willing to sell me a phone.
My searches of the Android applications lead me to a confusing variety of apps, but none seem
appropriate.

Maybe I am missing something obvious, since both systems are Linux based.

Thank you.
--
Hank Ivy

GPG Fingerprint:
1A0F E1CB 0160 0069 7C19 4B00 911C 92E8 F8B0 4C7C
Bryan Stevenson
2011-01-19 21:09:25 UTC
What advice are you after?

It is a PDA, so using it as such is fine.

I can say that if you want to directly sync your phone contacts etc with
your Linux desktop, you are out of luck unless you like the cloud.

So far, traditional direct syncing is not an option with Android devices
and Linux based PCs/laptops. You HAVE TO use GMail and the rest of the
Google cloud.

I will NEVER place my personal data in the cloud. Google is using it to
earn monety and I'm not getting paid for it.....and then there are all
the privacy and potential data loss concerns....

Cheers
Post by Hank Ivy
Please offer advice on using an Android-based cell phone as a PDA, with a Linux desktop system
as my primary home system. Technically, my needs are limited, just a list of contacts,
appointments, and notes. I want to appear organized and professional in front of my clients.
My Google searches lead me to a lot of sites willing to sell me a phone.
My searches of the Android applications lead me to a confusing variety of apps, but none seem
appropriate.
Maybe I am missing something obvious, since both systems are Linux based.
Thank you.
Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc.
phone: 250.480.0642
fax: 250.480.1264
cell: 250.920.8830
e-mail: ***@electricedgesystems.com
web: www.electricedgesystems.com

Notice:
This message, including any attachments, is confidential and may contain
information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure. It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed unless expressly authorized
otherwise by the sender. If you are not an authorized recipient, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently destroy all copies of this
message and attachments.