sync fails after clean setup
Achim Zirner
2011-01-03 10:21:46 UTC
Hi List,

Here's my setup:
Ubuntu 10.10
Windows Mobile 6.1 prof.
Using Repository LP-PPA-opensync-0.22/maverick

I spent the weekend fiddling with my setup. After deleting everything
synce and opensync related (including partnership on my smartphone which
by the way deleted all data synced using it such as contacts and
events!) I installed everything according to the wiki. I seems that I
didn't have to apply the path to "pyopensync-1.py" because it already
looked patched. (Also, trying to apply the patched failed, so I assume
that it was not necessary). I set up a partnership and the initial sync
worked, sort of: I was missing a number contacts. As far they all
started with "Z".

After this sync, the following syncs fails with:

The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
All conflicts have been reported
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members

I am guessing, that the evo2-plugin that is failing.

Any ideas what I can do? Or do we just have wait until opensync 0.40
becomes stable and available?

best wishes for the new year,

achim
Andrea Vai
2011-01-11 09:02:27 UTC
Hi Achim, hello List, I spent some time dealing with this issue too.
Post by Achim Zirner
Ubuntu 10.10
Windows Mobile 6.1 prof.
Using Repository LP-PPA-opensync-0.22/maverick
Here is my setup:
- Ubuntu 10.10
- Windows Mobile 5
- Repository LP-PPA-opensync-0.22 maverick
i.e., the same used by Achim but with WM5 instead of WM6
Post by Achim Zirner
After deleting everything
synce and opensync related (including partnership on my smartphone which
by the way deleted all data synced using it such as contacts and
events!)
I also removed almost everything (but I kept my partnership configured)
Post by Achim Zirner
I installed everything according to the wiki.
I also did it.
Post by Achim Zirner
I seems that I
didn't have to apply the path to "pyopensync-1.py" because it already
looked patched. (Also, trying to apply the patched failed, so I assume
that it was not necessary).
I also didn't apply the patch, according to Achim's guesses.

Now this is my situation at present:
- my synce-tray-icon shows up, asks for the PDA password, and tells that
the PDA is connected
- synce-pls shows current files on the PDA
- synce-list-partnerships shows the partnership correctly

But now I can't go on because "msynctool --listplugins" shows no
available plugins :-( Does anyone have a hint for me?

Furthermore, I noticed that msynctool autocompletion doesn't work:
pressing TAB after typing "msynctool --listpl" for example, shows an
"bash: _get_comp_words_by_ref(): `anteprev': unknown argument" error. It
used to work fine in Lucid. Does it imply anything important?
Post by Achim Zirner
best wishes for the new year,
achim
my best wishes to all of you, too
Kind regards
Andrea
Mark Ellis
2011-01-13 17:21:22 UTC
Post by Achim Zirner
Hi List,
[...]
Achim, you have to send the full output.
Achim Zirner
2011-01-13 20:44:17 UTC

I've got it running again. Syncing works now :-) Can't really tell you,
why. However, Contacts with "z" are still missing. Output of "msynctool
--sync " looks normal

I changed a contact starting with "Z" so there would be a reason to sync
it. Here is the output:

***@achim-desktop:~$ msynctool --sync syncaz1
Synchronizing group "syncaz1"
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just connected
All clients connected or error
DEBUG:SynCE:get_changeinfo() called
INFO:SynCE:initiating device synchronization
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just sent all changes
INFO:SynCE:waiting for engine to complete sync
INFO:SynCE:device synchronization complete
DEBUG:SynCE:requesting remote changes
DEBUG:SynCE:got 3 changesets
DEBUG:SynCE:no changes for item type 0
DEBUG:SynCE:no changes for item type 1
DEBUG:SynCE:no changes for item type 7
DEBUG:SynCE:reporting success
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just sent all changes
All clients sent changes or error
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin committed all changes.
Member 2 of type evo2-sync committed all changes.
All clients have written
DEBUG:SynCE:sync_done() called
INFO:SynCE:initiating device synchronization
INFO:SynCE:waiting for engine to complete sync
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
INFO:SynCE:device synchronization complete
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync was successful
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
***@achim-desktop:~$

Any ideas?

Achim
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnl
Mark Ellis
2011-01-15 11:51:02 UTC
Post by Achim Zirner
Hi,
I've got it running again. Syncing works now :-) Can't really tell you,
why. However, Contacts with "z" are still missing.
That's particularly odd, don't know why that is.
Post by Achim Zirner
Output of "msynctool
--sync " looks normal
I changed a contact starting with "Z" so there would be a reason to sync
I'm currently investigating something. Did you change this contact in
evolution ? Mostly I end up modifying contacts on my phone and syncing
them back to evolution, but recently I had one to sync the other way
which failed.

I think it may have to do with a change in the names available from
evolution-data-server stuff. What's the output of

msynctool --showgroup syncaz1
Achim Zirner
2011-01-15 14:56:32 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Hi,
Post by Achim Zirner
Output of "msynctool
--sync " looks normal
I changed a contact starting with "Z" so there would be a reason to sync
I'm currently investigating something. Did you change this contact in
evolution ? Mostly I end up modifying contacts on my phone and syncing
them back to evolution, but recently I had one to sync the other way
which failed.
I do most of my editing in Evolution and then sync it to the phone. I've
tried modifying one of the missing contacts in Evolution so that it
would think it needed to be synced: it didn't
Post by Mark Ellis
I think it may have to do with a change in the names available from
evolution-data-server stuff. What's the output of
msynctool --showgroup syncaz1
Here's the output:
***@achim-desktop:~$ msynctool --showgroup syncaz1
Groupname: syncaz1
Member 1: synce-opensync-plugin
Configuration : <?xml version="1.0"?>
<filter/>

Member 2: evo2-sync
Configuration : <?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<address_path>default</address_path>

<calendar_path>file:///home/achim/.evolution/calendar/local/***@achim-desktop</calendar_path>
<tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
</config>
Mark Ellis
2011-01-16 11:01:19 UTC
Post by Achim Zirner
Post by Mark Ellis
Hi,
Post by Mark Ellis
I think it may have to do with a change in the names available from
evolution-data-server stuff. What's the output of
msynctool --showgroup syncaz1
Groupname: syncaz1
Member 1: synce-opensync-plugin
Configuration : <?xml version="1.0"?>
<filter/>
Member 2: evo2-sync
Configuration : <?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<address_path>default</address_path>
<tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
</config>
I'm currently trying to understand the evo2-sync configuration. The use
of "default" doesn't seem to be very reliable anymore, but I don't know
why this has changed. You see the setting in calendar_path, did you put
that in yourself ?
Achim Zirner
2011-01-16 15:16:46 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Achim Zirner
Post by Mark Ellis
Hi,
Post by Mark Ellis
I think it may have to do with a change in the names available from
evolution-data-server stuff. What's the output of
msynctool --showgroup syncaz1
Groupname: syncaz1
Member 1: synce-opensync-plugin
Configuration : <?xml version="1.0"?>
<filter/>
Member 2: evo2-sync
Configuration : <?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<address_path>default</address_path>
<tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
</config>
I'm currently trying to understand the evo2-sync configuration. The use
of "default" doesn't seem to be very reliable anymore, but I don't know
why this has changed. You see the setting in calendar_path, did you put
that in yourself ?
I used the multisyncgui to set up the syncing. There I was able to
select an calender. (I set up a new calendar for 2011). Syncing the
calendar works as far as I can tell. Even for recurring events!

For the other settings, I left them at the default value (in German
"persönlich").
Post by Mark Ellis
Mark Ellis
2011-01-23 21:52:52 UTC
Post by Achim Zirner
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Achim Zirner
Post by Mark Ellis
Hi,
Post by Mark Ellis
[...]
I think the behaviour of evolution-data-server has definitely changed
recently, there seem to be a lot of errors with accessing the default
sources. I'm looking at this, but I don't know if it's exactly what's
causing your z problem.
Post by Achim Zirner
Post by Mark Ellis