Enrique Latre
2011-01-31 20:24:09 UTC
Is there any way on maverick to browse the device (WM6)? On lucid I did that whith synce-gvfs, which is not available for maverick. I installed synce-gnomevfs, but I got an error when I try to browse:
Could not display "synce://ppc_ql". Nautilus cannot handle "synce" locations.
Thank you
Mark Ellis
The synce-gvfs package is in the PPA.
Andrea Vai
2011-02-15 08:33:05 UTC
Hi all, I append to this message because I installed synce-gvfs from the
"PPA for SynCE", but it still gives me the error mentioned.

Can anyone help me please? May I find somewhere any log to investigate
the problem? Does anybody out there ever managed to browse PDA files
from Lucid on a WM5 device using synce-gvfs?

I'm using WM5 on an i-mate JasJar, and Lucid on amd64.
The PPA I use is http://ppa.launchpad.net/synce/ubuntu

Thank you very much,
Andrea
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Enrique Latre
Is there any way on maverick to browse the device (WM6)? On lucid I
did that whith synce-gvfs, which is not available for maverick. I
Could not display "synce://ppc_ql". Nautilus cannot handle "synce" locations.
Thank you
The synce-gvfs package is in the PPA.
rules translate into the virtual world?
http://p.sf.net/sfu/oracle-sfdevnlfb
Enrique Latre
Andrea Vai
2011-02-15 14:29:26 UTC
Thank you Enrique, but I don't have synce-gnomevfs installed, so I
cannot uninstall it :-(
Any further suggestion from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Sincerly
Andrea Vai
Mark Ellis
2011-02-16 20:41:36 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi all, I append to this message because I installed synce-gvfs from the
"PPA for SynCE", but it still gives me the error mentioned.
What happens if you run /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce from the command
line ?
Andrea Vai
2011-02-21 08:59:44 UTC
Hi list, and thank you Mark for the answer.
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi all, I append to this message because I installed synce-gvfs from the
"PPA for SynCE", but it still gives me the error mentioned.
What happens if you run /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce from the command
line ?
Yes, it works! i.e., if I first connect my PDA, enter its password at
the gnome-trayicon prompt, then run /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce and
then click on "explore with filemanager" on the trayicon, I am indeed
able to browse the files under "Mobile Device_Angus_JJ" (Angus_JJ is my
pda name).
How can I make it working without issuing that command manually?

Thank you very much,
Andrea

(big) p.s.:
I have made some tests and here are the results, if it can help to
investigate the problem.

As soon as I run /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce, an icon "Mobile
device" shows up in Nautilus. But if I click on it, it sometimes shows
the "Loading..." message and nothing happens. Some other times, clicking
on it gives me error (cannot mount).

After having successfully "explored" the AngusJJ, if I shut down
the /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce (which gives no output on the
terminal) the AngusJJ remains browsable.

Some times, if I disconnect and reconnect the PDA (WITHOUT running
gvfsd-synce ), then the "Mobile Device Angus_JJ" is present in Nautilus,
it correctly shows "Documents" and "Filesystem", but if I click on
either of them it returns error "Cannot show folder content. Cannot show
all «Filesystem» content: An unspecified failure has
occurred" [translated from italian]. After doing that, if I
run /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce then the "Mobile device" appears in
Nautilus, and it is browsable (the opposite as before: now MobileDevice
is browsable and AngusJJ is not).

I tried many times the steps to reproduce the same behaviour, and I also
encountered this situation (it seems to me that happens if I had already
browsed my pda after a reboot):
If I disconnect the device, unmount the device in nautilus (right click
--> unmount), connect the device again, I can explore it by clicking on
the icon "Angus_JJ mobile device" that comes up in nautilus, and the
"mobile device" icon does not appear. NB this again WITHOUT
running /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb
Mark Ellis
2011-02-21 17:13:59 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
Hi all, I append to this message because I installed synce-gvfs from the
"PPA for SynCE", but it still gives me the error mentioned.
What happens if you run /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce from the command
line ?
Yes, it works! i.e., if I first connect my PDA, enter its password at
the gnome-trayicon prompt, then run /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce and
then click on "explore with filemanager" on the trayicon, I am indeed
able to browse the files under "Mobile Device_Angus_JJ" (Angus_JJ is my
pda name).
How can I make it working without issuing that command manually?
Thank you very much,
Andrea
I'm a bit behind development on gvfs and nautilus, but here's the deal
from when I originally wrote synce-gvfs.

Firstly, if you're browsing the device, then unplug it without
unmounting it, the mobile device entry in nautilus is useless, it's
still running but has lost it's connection an can't get it back.

The only reason I can think that you have to run gvfsd-synce manually is
that there is a problem with the file /usrshare/gvfs/mounts/synce.mount,
which is the file that tells nautilus and gvfs what to do with a synce:
address. Is this file present ?
Andrea Vai
2011-02-22 09:08:44 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
yes, the file is present and its content is

[Mount]
Type=synce
Exec=/usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce
AutoMount=false
Scheme=synce

I made an attempt, changing AutoMount to true, and as far as I can
understand it works fine, without
running /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce manually. Did I do the right
thing? Please also tell me if I have anything else to do (other tests,
file a bug somewhere,etc to understand something more)

Thank you,
Andrea
Mark Ellis
2011-02-22 11:56:23 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Andrea Vai
[...]
Ok, seems reasonable. I'm not sure what the automount flag does, writing
gvfs backends is pretty undocumented, but if it works just go with it.