synce-opensync-plugin configuration
Emmanuel Sotirakis
2010-05-28 08:42:14 UTC
Dear Synce users,

I used to use Synce to synchronise Windows Mobile phone (Asus P552, WM6 updated to WM7) with Evolution running on Ubuntu 8.04 updated to 10.04, all of this without any trouble.

I had to change my computer. I reinstalled Ubuntu 10.04 together with the bundle of packets required for WM <-> Lucid connection.
The phone is recognized, I can browse into folders, etc.

But I cannot synch...
When running
$ msynctool --sync UbuntuSync
I finally get:
Member 1 of type evo2-sync just sent all changes
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin had an error while getting changes: Error during get_changeinfo() method
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 2 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 1 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members

I think there is a problem in the synce-opensync-plugin configuration:
$ msynctool --showgroup UbuntuDesktop
returns:
Groupname: UbuntuDesktop
Member 1:
No Configuration found: Member has not been configured
Member 2: evo2-sync
Configuration : <config>
<address_path>default</address_path>
<calendar_path>default</calendar_path>
<tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
</config>

and the settings available for this plugin from the multisync0.90 GUI are reduced to the minimum:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<filter/>

Would you have any idea on how to get this working?

Thanks for your help,

Sincerely,

ES
Guido Diepen
Good to hear that this is working.
Emmanuel Sotirakis
2010-05-28 09:39:58 UTC
Dear Guido,

Thanks for your help!
Guido Diepen
2010-05-28 11:19:51 UTC

this appears to be the same error as we have seen recently, it has to do
with a newer version of SWIG that was used to create the python bindings
for OpenSync. In the archive of this synce-users mailinglist there is a
patch that you can apply which should resolve the problem.

I don't know anything about the status of this patching being included in
Ubuntu, maybe Mark Ellis knows more about this?

Kind regards,

Guido Diepen
Post by Emmanuel Sotirakis
Dear Guido,
Thanks for your help!
Mark Ellis
2010-05-28 11:58:24 UTC
Post by Guido Diepen
Hi,
this appears to be the same error as we have seen recently, it has to do
with a newer version of SWIG that was used to create the python bindings
for OpenSync. In the archive of this synce-users mailinglist there is a
patch that you can apply which should resolve the problem.
I don't know anything about the status of this patching being included in
Ubuntu, maybe Mark Ellis knows more about this?
Kind regards,
Guido Diepen
Patch and instructions sent further back in the thread, but only just
went.

Please visit
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/opensync/+bug/584997

and add a "me too" so they'll be more likely to apply the proper fix in
ubuntu.
Post by Guido Diepen
Post by Emmanuel Sotirakis
Dear Guido,
Thanks for your help!
Mark Ellis
Emmanuel Sotirakis
2010-05-28 12:37:02 UTC
Well,

It seems there is a cross-conversation with Glenn Louttit on the same kind on trouble...

Thanks Mark for your feedback.
I've saved the opensync-swig-fix-postbuild.diff on my desktop, cd to the below mentioned directory (which I had to create, by the way...), but I finally run in a error message:

@laptop:~$ cd /usr/share/python-support/python-opensync/
@laptop:/usr/share/python-support/python-opensync$ sudo patch -Np0 -i /home/me/Bureau/opensync-swig-fix-postbuild.diff
patching file opensync.py
Hunk #1 FAILED at 162.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file opensync.py.rej

Thanks,

ES

On Fri, 28 May 2010 12:10:00 +0100
Hi,
Mark Ellis
2010-05-28 12:58:51 UTC
Post by Emmanuel Sotirakis
Well,
It seems there is a cross-conversation with Glenn Louttit on the same kind on trouble...
Thanks Mark for your feedback.
@laptop:~$ cd /usr/share/python-support/python-opensync/
@laptop:/usr/share/python-support/python-opensync$ sudo patch -Np0 -i /home/me/Bureau/opensync-swig-fix-postbuild.diff
patching file opensync.py
Hunk #1 FAILED at 162.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file opensync.py.rej
The path must've changed in lucid, run dpkg -L python-opensync to find
where opensync.py is, and do it in that directory.
Emmanuel Sotirakis
2010-05-28 13:42:09 UTC
Mark, you're the boss!

works like a charm!

Many thanks, you saved my week end...
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Emmanuel Sotirakis
Thanks Mark for your feedback.
The path must've changed in lucid, run dpkg -L python-opensync to find
where opensync.py is, and do it in that directory.
yes indeed it has. for the records: you should cd to /usr/share/pyshared

Best regards,

ES
Mark Ellis
2010-05-28 14:02:51 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Emmanuel Sotirakis
Thanks Mark for your feedback.
The path must've changed in lucid, run dpkg -L python-opensync to find
where opensync.py is, and do it in that directory.
yes indeed it has. for the records: you should cd to /usr/share/pyshared
Best regards,
ES
Cool, remember to visit the bug page, we need to get this fixed
properly.
Karl.
Karl.
2010-12-08 13:41:50 UTC
Hi Guys,
not sure if this is the the correct forum for this request for hep but
apologies if not.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, Evolution 2.30.3 and have been happily syncing to
an HTC Touch 2 (WM6) since upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04. Recently it
stopped syncing contacts (but kept doing calendar items) ) so I deleted
everything and set about re-syncing the empty phone.

Now, having set up all the partnership and group members I try to sync and
after a while keep getting the recurrent error

Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while getting changes: Broken Pipe
Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while disconnecting: Broken Pipe
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just sent all changes
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members

I have followed the discussions closely and applied the patch to
/usr/share/pyshared/opensync.py posted by Mark Ellis but this has made no
difference. I also tried set up different partnerships syncing only
contacts and only calendar items to see if there is a problem in the data
items but both have failed in the same way.

I'm thoroughly stuck and welcome any help.

Cheers. http://old.nabble.com/file/p30405434/sync_log sync_log
Mark Ellis
2010-12-19 10:06:39 UTC
Post by Karl.
Hi Guys,
not sure if this is the the correct forum for this request for hep but
apologies if not.
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, Evolution 2.30.3 and have been happily syncing to
an HTC Touch 2 (WM6) since upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04. Recently it
stopped syncing contacts (but kept doing calendar items) ) so I deleted
everything and set about re-syncing the empty phone.
Now, having set up all the partnership and group members I try to sync and
after a while keep getting the recurrent error
Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while getting changes: Broken Pipe
Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while disconnecting: Broken Pipe
The problem is coming from evolution, not synce. I could guess that
there is a data item that evo2-sync can't handle, but I don't know much
about evo2 data.
Karl.
2010-12-21 10:17:30 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
The problem is coming from evolution, not synce. I could guess that
there is a data item that evo2-sync can't handle, but I don't know much
about evo2 data.
Thanks Mark, I also thought this and tested with i) --filter-objtype data
(i.e. sync nothing), ii) a new calendar (empty except for one item) and
also iii) from a new instance of Evolution in a guest login. Each test I
re-initialised the phone and the failure was the same. This led me to think
it's some element of the sync software rather than Evolution. I am using a
newish version of Evolution (2.30.3) so maybe it's worth trying to reinstall
an older one. I'm also experimenting with Google calendar but that's flaky
in Evolution too!
Mark Ellis
2011-01-13 17:23:34 UTC
Broken Pipe > Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while
disconnecting: Broken Pipe >>The problem is coming from evolution, not
synce. I could guess that >>there is a data item that evo2-sync can't
handle, but I don't know much >>about evo2 data. Thanks Mark, I also
thought this and tested with i) --filter-objtype data (i.e. sync
nothing), ii) a new calendar (empty except for one item) and also iii)
from a new instance of Evolution in a guest login. Each test I
re-initialised the phone and the failure was the same. This led me to
think it's some element of the sync software rather than Evolution. I
am using a newish version of Evolution (2.30.3) so maybe it's worth
trying to reinstall an older one. I'm also experimenting with Google
calendar but that's flaky in Evolution too!
Karl, what's the full output from msynctool ?
Karl.
2011-01-21 15:59:09 UTC
"Karl, what's the full output from msynctool ?"

Mark, thanks. I've attached the trace files for command

msynctool --sync ksr2 --filter-objtype data

http://old.nabble.com/file/p30729990/msynctool_trace.tar msynctool_trace.tar

Mark Ellis
2011-01-23 21:36:49 UTC
Post by Karl.
"Karl, what's the full output from msynctool ?"
Mark, thanks. I've attached the trace files for command
msynctool --sync ksr2 --filter-objtype data
http://old.nabble.com/file/p30729990/msynctool_trace.tar msynctool_trace.tar
Thanks, I meant the console output rather than an opensync trace, but I
think it's the same thing I've seen a lot of lately. I think the idea of
a default data source in evolution has changed recently, but I'm not
completely sure ...... I'll let you know.
Karl.
2011-01-24 09:48:02 UTC
"Thanks, I meant the console output rather than an opensync trace, but I
think it's the same thing I've seen a lot of lately. I think the idea of
a default data source in evolution has changed recently, but I'm not
completely sure ...... I'll let you know."

Yea, I meant to include the console output but attach it now. I'm really
struggling without this and I've tried using Google Calendar but the
Evolution<->Google integration is very flaky and basically unusable. I'm
using a fairly new version of Evolution (2.30.3), do you think it would make
sense to reinstall an older one? Help greatly appreciated. K.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p30746968/msynctool_console.txt
msynctool_console.txt
Iain Buchanan
2011-01-24 22:43:31 UTC
Post by Karl.
"Thanks, I meant the console output rather than an opensync trace, but I
think it's the same thing I've seen a lot of lately. I think the idea of
a default data source in evolution has changed recently, but I'm not
completely sure ...... I'll let you know."
Yea, I meant to include the console output but attach it now. I'm really
struggling without this and I've tried using Google Calendar but the
Evolution<->Google integration is very flaky and basically unusable. I'm
using a fairly new version of Evolution (2.30.3), do you think it would make
sense to reinstall an older one? Help greatly appreciated. K.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p30746968/msynctool_console.txt
msynctool_console.txt
AFAIR it was evo 2.32 that changed the default source or calendars
around. I don't think (although I may be wrong) that it was a problem
with 2.30. For what it's worth I'm getting a broken pipe as well, but I
don't know if it's the plugin or something else...

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein
Karl.
2011-01-25 12:46:45 UTC
Post by Iain Buchanan
AFAIR it was evo 2.32 that changed the default source or calendars
around. I don't think (although I may be wrong) that it was a problem
with 2.30. For what it's worth I'm getting a broken pipe as well, but I
don't know if it's the plugin or something else...
Is upgrading to 10.10 an option worth considering (or else waiting for
11.04)?
Iain Buchanan
2011-01-25 13:24:55 UTC
Post by Karl.
Post by Iain Buchanan
AFAIR it was evo 2.32 that changed the default source or calendars
around. I don't think (although I may be wrong) that it was a problem
with 2.30. For what it's worth I'm getting a broken pipe as well, but I
don't know if it's the plugin or something else...
Is upgrading to 10.10 an option worth considering (or else waiting for
11.04)?
I don't use ubuntu, but I think 10.10 probably uses a 2.32 variant.

Did you try Lionels suggestion? I just tried it and it worked for me so
I can finally sync again! Basically, delete your default calendar (or
for you the default address book) in evolution (after saving it to a
file) then create it again with the same name, and mark the new one as
default.

I didn't need to restore because on first sync, most of the elements
were back again. The missing ones I recovered by doing a slow sync
(they were on the device but not in evolution). This may be similar to
your "contacts starting with 'z' missing" problem, not sure. If you do
a slow sync, specify --conflict <something> on the command line so-as
not to have to answer the question over and over.

HTH,

Chemicals, n.:
Noxious substances from which modern foods are made.
Karl.
2011-01-25 14:41:30 UTC
Post by Iain Buchanan
I don't use ubuntu, but I think 10.10 probably uses a 2.32 variant.
Did you try Lionels suggestion? I just tried it and it worked for me so
I can finally sync again! Basically, delete your default calendar (or
for you the default address book) in evolution (after saving it to a
file) then create it again with the same name, and mark the new one as
default.
I didn't need to restore because on first sync, most of the elements
were back again. The missing ones I recovered by doing a slow sync
(they were on the device but not in evolution). This may be similar to
your "contacts starting with 'z' missing" problem, not sure. If you do
a slow sync, specify --conflict <something> on the command line so-as
not to have to answer the question over and over.
Thanks Ian, sorry I couldn't find Lionel's suggestion. Also there is no
delete option (right click menu) for the default "Personal" calendar in evo.
I did delete the caledndar.ics file in .evolution/calendar/local/system but
curiously on restart of evo the calendar items were still there. Actually
earlier I did set up a new guest user profile, reset the phone and tried a
fresh sync group with empty cal and address book etc. This also generated
the same errors.

I'm kind of using Google calendar services at the moment as a means to keep
working but fresh phone resets become ever more time consuming and tedious.
This whole issue really is a shame because it was working so well before.
Andrea Vai
2011-01-25 16:01:24 UTC
Post by Karl.
Post by Iain Buchanan
[...]
Hello Karl, I don't know if it applies to your problem, but I solved
some of mine's adding a new calendar and setting it as the "default" in
evolution. Thus made my PDA data populate that calendar at the first
sync.

Andrea
Karl.
2011-02-01 08:43:21 UTC
Post by Andrea Vai
Hello Karl, I don't know if it applies to your problem, but I solved
some of mine's adding a new calendar and setting it as the "default" in
evolution. Thus made my PDA data populate that calendar at the first
sync.
Andrea
Thanks Andrea. I'll try that but there is a bigger issue because the same
fault is generated on contacts sync as well. That was why I did a sync with
--filter-objtype data. Looking at the trace files it seems to me that there
is a problem with the evo2-sync plugin, but I am far from knowledgeable in
these issues.

Karl.