segfault in synce_plugin.so
Alex Buell
2011-02-26 16:28:51 UTC
Ever since my system got upgraded, SynCE has broken (again!). I am not
able to sync information to my PDA from Evolution.

I suspect there may be a problem with libopensync-plugin-synce, having
just spent yesterday and this morning trying to resolve the problem.

The following set of packages are installed:

synce-libsynce 0.15.1
synce-gvfs 0.4
synce-hal 0.15
synce-rapi2-0.15.2
synce-rra 0.14
synce-rtfcomp 0.1.1
synce-serial 0.11
synce-sync-engine 0.15.1
synce-trayicon 0.15

libopensync 0.22
libopensync-plugin-evolution2 0.22 (which happens to work just fine)
libopensync-plugin-python 0.22
libopensync-plugin-synce 0.22 (which segfaults)

With msynctool, it appears to get the information it needs from
Evolution (via evo2-sync), and then tries to feed it to my PDA and fails
withh a "broken pipe' error (via synce-plugin). Presumably because the
plugin crashes with a segfault, hence the broken pipe error.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Both synce-kpm 0.15 and synce-trayicon
appears to access the PDA's details just fine, it's just syncing via the
synce-plugin that fails.

Thanks for you time, much appreciated.
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Alex Buell
2011-02-26 16:42:33 UTC
Post by Alex Buell
libopensync-plugin-synce 0.22 (which segfaults)
Actually, that's libopensync-plugin-synce-rra 0.22.1, sorry for the mix
up. I am desperate to get that segfault resolved. :(
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Mark Ellis
2011-02-26 18:19:08 UTC
Post by Alex Buell
[...]
No idea unless you provide command output, logs, device version etc.
Mark Ellis
2011-02-26 18:50:22 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Alex Buell
Any ideas what could be wrong?
No idea unless you provide command output, logs, device version etc.
Feb 26 18:31:40 lithium hal-dccm[5150]: DEBUG: client_connected_cb: have a connection to port 990
Feb 26 18:33:21 lithium kernel: [543174.346503] osplugin[5160]: segfault at 0 ip b78d2fcf sp bf8486b0 error 4 in synce_plugin.so[b78d0000+7000]
$ msynctool --sync AsusPDA
Synchronizing group "AsusPDA"
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to finish the sync for one of the members
Error while synchronizing: Unable to finish the sync for one of the members
My device: Asus A639N (used to work just fine before the system upgrade)
I believe this is a Windows Mobile 5 or later device, so your using the
wrong plugin.
Alex Buell
2011-02-26 19:24:29 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Alex Buell
Any ideas what could be wrong?
No idea unless you provide command output, logs, device version etc.
Feb 26 18:31:40 lithium hal-dccm[5150]: DEBUG: client_connected_cb: have a connection to port 990
Feb 26 18:33:21 lithium kernel: [543174.346503] osplugin[5160]: segfault at 0 ip b78d2fcf sp bf8486b0 error 4 in synce_plugin.so[b78d0000+7000]
$ msynctool --sync AsusPDA
Synchronizing group "AsusPDA"
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to finish the sync for one of the members
Error while synchronizing: Unable to finish the sync for one of the members
My device: Asus A639N (used to work just fine before the system upgrade)
I believe this is a Windows Mobile 5 or later device, so your using the
wrong plugin.
Yes, which plugin should I be using? I'm using
libopensync-plugin-sync-rra and libopensync-plugin-synce over SynCE to
bridge between my PDA and Evolution.
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Mark Ellis
-rra is for pre WM5 only, use the other one.
Alex Buell
2011-02-26 21:13:08 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Alex Buell
Post by Mark Ellis
My device: Asus A639N (used to work just fine before the system upgrade)
I believe this is a Windows Mobile 5 or later device, so your using the
wrong plugin.
Yes, which plugin should I be using? I'm using
libopensync-plugin-sync-rra and libopensync-plugin-synce over SynCE to
bridge between my PDA and Evolution.
-rra is for pre WM5 only, use the other one.
I'm not able to build libopensync-plugin-synce-0.22.tar.bz2 with
synce-librra 0.14, as follows:

synce_plugin.c: In function 'connect':
synce_plugin.c:118: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_syncmgr_connect'
synce_plugin.c: In function 'm_report_contact_changes':
synce_plugin.c:208: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_contact_to_vcard'
synce_plugin.c: In function 'm_report_todo_changes':
synce_plugin.c:251: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_task_to_vtodo'
synce_plugin.c: In function 'm_report_cal_changes':
synce_plugin.c:298: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_appointment_to_vevent'
synce_plugin.c: In function 'm_report_contact':
synce_plugin.c:335: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c: In function 'm_report_todo':
synce_plugin.c:403: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c: In function 'm_report_cal':
synce_plugin.c:473: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c: In function 'get_changeinfo':
synce_plugin.c:561: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_syncmgr_connect'
synce_plugin.c:580: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_syncmgr_connect'
synce_plugin.c:598: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_syncmgr_connect'
synce_file.c: In function 'synce_file_commit':
synce_file.c:253: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_file.c:282: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c:616: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_syncmgr_connect'
synce_plugin.c: In function 'commit_contacts_change':
synce_plugin.c:638: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c:666: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_contact_from_vcard'
synce_file.c:296: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_file.c:340: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_file.c:352: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_file.c:365: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c:689: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_contact_from_vcard'
synce_plugin.c: In function 'commit_todo_change':
synce_plugin.c:716: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c:744: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_task_from_vtodo'
synce_plugin.c:767: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_task_from_vtodo'
synce_plugin.c: In function 'commit_cal_change':
synce_plugin.c:794: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_file.c: In function 'synce_file_getdata':
synce_file.c:498: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type
synce_plugin.c:822: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_appointment_from_vevent'
synce_plugin.c:845: error: too few arguments to function 'rra_appointment_from_vevent'
make[2]: *** [synce_plugin.lo] Error 1

libopensync-plugin-synce-rra-0.22.1.tar.gz does build OK but is unusable
due to the segfault and as you say, won't work with my PDA (WM6 classic)

Is there anything else I can do?
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Mark Ellis
2011-02-26 22:03:40 UTC
Post by Alex Buell
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Alex Buell
Post by Mark Ellis
My device: Asus A639N (used to work just fine before the system upgrade)
I believe this is a Windows Mobile 5 or later device, so your using the
wrong plugin.
Yes, which plugin should I be using? I'm using
libopensync-plugin-sync-rra and libopensync-plugin-synce over SynCE to
bridge between my PDA and Evolution.
-rra is for pre WM5 only, use the other one.
I'm not able to build libopensync-plugin-synce-0.22.tar.bz2 with
libopensync-plugin-synce-rra-0.22.1.tar.gz does build OK but is unusable
due to the segfault and as you say, won't work with my PDA (WM6 classic)
Is there anything else I can do?
Ah, no.

The plugin originally supplied by opensync, 0.22, and now updated on the
synce site, 0.22.1, is for pre WM5 devices.

The plugin supplied with synce-sync-engine, now 0.15 or 0.15.1, is for
WM5 and later.

Are there no packages for your distro ?
Alex Buell
2011-02-26 23:47:00 UTC
Post by Mark Ellis
The plugin originally supplied by opensync, 0.22, and now updated on the
synce site, 0.22.1, is for pre WM5 devices.
The plugin supplied with synce-sync-engine, now 0.15 or 0.15.1, is for
WM5 and later.
Are there no packages for your distro ?
Actually I've had to make my own packages. I'm happy to report that
SynCE is now working again for me.

The problem was putting the plugin into the right place
(python-plugins), once that happened, syncs started working again.

Thanks, and at least I've understood how it all works now.
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Alex Buell
2011-02-26 20:15:03 UTC
Post by Alex Buell
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Mark Ellis
Post by Alex Buell
[...]
I, of course, meant libopensync-plugin-sync-rra and