Building SynCE and getting it to work on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1
Kal Sze
2011-05-11 11:35:03 UTC
Hello,

I have successfully built and installed the following packages in SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 11 SP1. By "successfully" I really mean that 'configure',
'make', and 'sudo make install' had no complaints. I had to disable udev
support though, because I couldn't find the headers for it in SUSE.

- libsynce-0.15.1
- librapi2-0.15.2
- synce-connector-0.15.2

Unfortunately, the PC still does not recognise the Windows CE 5 handheld
device when I plug it in.

After booting the PC, when the handheld device is plugged for the first
time, I could see that Windows CE attempts to establish a USB connection,
but fails after waiting a few seconds. Subsequent attempts to unplug and
replug result in no visible reaction in Windows CE, until the PC is
rebooted.

When I attempt to execute pls on the PC, I get this message:

** Message: dccm is not running, ignoring
** Message: Device
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5e0_2000_noserial_if0_serial_usb_0
not fully set in Hal, skipping
** Message: Odccm is not running, ignoring

There is also no new network interface that corresponds to the handheld
device when I execute 'ifconfig' on the PC.

Even though SynCE was designed with Windows *Mobile* in mind, I could get
Windows CE to work with the synce-pls, synce-pcp, synce-prm command line
tools in Ubuntu 11.04, so I'm sure there is only a little something missing
from the SUSE setup.

Would somebody be able to help me?

Kal
Tejas Guruswamy
2011-05-12 01:13:09 UTC
Post by Kal Sze
[...]
SynCE packages for SLE 11 are available on the OBS in
mobile:synchronization:FACTORY

I've just fixed a few packages that were out of date, repo is here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mobile:/synchronization:/FACTORY/SLE_11/

I don't have a SLE machine to test but if you encounter any issues let
me know and I'll try and fix it. It's built with hal support, since as
you noticed there is no gudev available.

And most of the information from http://en.opensuse.org/SynCE applies
also on SLE, particularly firewall & NetworkManager.

BTW Windows CE is just an older name of Windows Mobile -- pre-2003 (and
was the original source for the name Syn"CE" I would guess).

Tejas
Kal Sze
2011-05-12 03:47:53 UTC
Hello Tejas,

Thanks for making those available.

I still have quite a few questions below, so please bear with me. :P

As far as I can tell, Windows CE does not support RNDIS - even Ubuntu only
creates a ppp interface (not an eth interface) upon connecting the device.

So which packages do I need exactly? I only need the ability to list,
transfer, and delete files using the (synce-)pls, pcp, and prm commands.

I can tell that I probably need the libsynce, librapi2, and synce-connector
packages. synce-trayicon is optional for me, but it will be useful for the
users to know when a device is detected and recognized. How about librra? Do
I need those?

BTW, I'm a bit confused regarding hal support. You said the packages are
built with it, but I don't see any synce-hal rpm in the repository. Has
synce-hal been completely superseded by synce-connector? I was never sure
about that.

Is there any traceability w.r.t. the origin of the packages in OBS (e.g.
code signing)? The IT policy of my client may require that.

Best Regards,
Kal
Tejas
Kal Sze
2011-05-12 08:16:04 UTC
Hi Tejas,

I installed synce-trayicon, synce-connector, rapi2-tools, rra-tools, and all
of their dependencies and recommended packages. Things are slightly better
now, when I plug the Windows CE 5 device.

Below are the differences, in contrast to the previous setup where I
manually built and installed the SynCE packages from source:

- SUSE now creates a ppp0 network connection when the device is plugged.
I can even ping it and run ftp through it (I have a small ftp service on the
Windows CE device). (But this is not enough for my purpose because I can't
set a static IP for the handheld device and it's hard to tell among multiple
devices connected simultaneously)
- On the handheld side, the USB connection is half-way successful. The
connection message box would get past the authentication phase and become
minimized to the tray. (In the previous setup, I didn't even get to the
authentication phase.) Then it would immediately pop up a "Communication
Error" message box, telling me that it is unable to establish communication
with the desktop and that due to a severe error (error %d), it is unable to
start the Winsock service. (I can't get you the exact message in English
because the device is running Chinese Windows CE). If I dismiss this error
message box, the USB connection is broken off and the ppp0 connection in
SUSE disappears.

I still cannot use the pls, pcp, and prm commands, they would still give me
the same messages as before:
** Message: dccm is not running, ignoring
** Message: Device
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5e0_2000_noserial_if0_serial_usb_0
not fully set in Hal, skipping
** Message: Odccm is not running, ignoring
pls: Could not find information at path '(Default)'

Any idea?

Best Regards,
Kal

Tejas
Mark Ellis
2011-05-12 19:05:32 UTC
Post by Kal Sze
Hi Tejas,
I installed synce-trayicon, synce-connector, rapi2-tools, rra-tools,
and all of their dependencies and recommended packages. Things are
slightly better now, when I plug the Windows CE 5 device.
Below are the differences, in contrast to the previous setup where I
* SUSE now creates a ppp0 network connection when the device is
plugged. I can even ping it and run ftp through it (I have a
small ftp service on the Windows CE device). (But this is not
enough for my purpose because I can't set a static IP for the
handheld device and it's hard to tell among multiple devices
connected simultaneously)
You won't get a static IP, that's not the way it's written. If you're
only using one device, you'll always get the same IP, but that's not the
same thing.
Post by Kal Sze
* On the handheld side, the USB connection is half-way
successful. The connection message box would get past the
authentication phase and become minimized to the tray. (In the
previous setup, I didn't even get to the authentication
phase.) Then it would immediately pop up a "Communication
Error" message box, telling me that it is unable to establish
communication with the desktop and that due to a severe error
(error %d), it is unable to start the Winsock service. (I
can't get you the exact message in English because the device
is running Chinese Windows CE). If I dismiss this error
message box, the USB connection is broken off and the ppp0
connection in SUSE disappears.
Sounds like you have an active firewall. Run iptables -L
Post by Kal Sze
[...]
Tejas
Kal Sze
2012-01-16 08:04:19 UTC
Hello again,

I've been using SynCE for SLE 11 from the openSUSE build service for almost
a year now and they have been working really fine.

I'm trying to find out which SLE 11 packages are immediate dependencies of
librapi2, rapi2-tools, libsynce, and synce-connector; but right now I don't
have access to a SLE 11 machine to run a rpm query, and
build.opensuse.orgis down for maintenance due to a disk array failure
so I can't get the
build spec files from there either.

Could someone, maybe Tejas, dig up the build spec files and tell me which
SLE 11 RPMs are immediate dependencies? Right now I can remember that
dhcp-client and gnet are definitely among them. What else am I missing?

Best Regards,
Kal
Tejas Guruswamy
2012-01-16 11:15:28 UTC
query, and build.opensuse.org <http://build.opensuse.org> is down for
maintenance due to a disk array failure so I can't get the build spec
files from there either.
Could someone, maybe Tejas, dig up the build spec files and tell me
which SLE 11 RPMs are immediate dependencies? Right now I can remember
that dhcp-client and gnet are definitely among them. What else am I
missing?
Best Regards,
Kal
Hi Kal,

Not sure if you're looking for build requirements or runtime
requirements, anyway to build with hal support (as on SLE11)

librapi2.spec:BuildRequires: gcc-c++
librapi2.spec:BuildRequires: libsynce-devel
librapi2.spec:BuildRequires: pyrex >= 0.9.6
librapi2.spec:BuildRequires: python-devel

libsynce.spec:BuildRequires: dbus-1-glib-devel
libsynce.spec:BuildRequires: hal-devel

synce-connector.spec:BuildRequires: dhcp-client
synce-connector.spec:BuildRequires: gnet-devel
synce-connector.spec:BuildRequires: libsynce-devel
synce-connector.spec:BuildRequires: dbus-1-glib-devel
synce-connector.spec:BuildRequires: hal-devel
synce-connector.spec:Requires: dhcp-client

For the runtime automatic shared library dependencies - these can be
found by downloading the binary packages (they're still up) from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mobile:/synchronization:/FACTORY/SLE_11/

and executing a 'rpm -qp --requires' on them.

Tejas
Andrea Vai
2012-01-25 16:20:22 UTC
Hi all,
first of all, please be patient with me because I am not an expert, also
sorry for my English.

I have been using synce with (almost) no problems for several months,
but today, without any apparent change in my system, msynctool crashes
saying :

Synchronizing group "JJ2Evo"
The previous synchronization was unclean. Slow-syncing
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just connected
All clients connected or error
DEBUG:SynCE:get_changeinfo() called
DEBUG:SynCE:slow sync requested for Contacts
DEBUG:SynCE:slow sync requested for Calendar
DEBUG:SynCE:slow sync requested for Tasks
INFO:SynCE:initiating device synchronization
INFO:SynCE:waiting for engine to complete sync
Received an entry pas-id-4D676F45000000C6 with data of size 8 from
member 2 (evo2-sync). Changetype ADDED
[...many others rows similar to the previous one...]
Received an entry 20100527T154739Z-1872-1000-1-***@andrea-desktop with
data of size 176 from member 1 (synce-opensync-plugin). Changetype ADDED
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just sent all changes
All clients sent changes or error
Segmentation fault
Pipe closed! Exiting.
Pipe closed! Exiting.

It actually happens during a slow-sync, because the last non-slow sync
that I ran failed due to an error that unfortunately I don't remember
(but it was not a segfault and I had to terminate the process by
pressing ctrl+C), and I cannot find it in any log (but I may not have
looked deeply enough)

Could anyone help me please? Keepin' my items synced between evolution
and my i-mate JasJar is one of my primary needs.

I have already tried to reboot the computer, and soft reset the pocket
PC as well, without any success.

Many thanks in advance,
Best regards,

Andrea

Running OpenSync 0.22, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx x64, Windows Mobile 5
Andrea Vai
2012-02-01 08:01:07 UTC
Hello,
I have done some tests about it, and I have found that the problem
happens only if a slow-sync is triggered.
I also found that, when the error occurs, in /var/log/messages is logged
the line:

kernel: [29357.960904] msynctool[28568]: segfault at 0 ip
00007f09eab4256a sp 00007f09db46d8d8 error 4 in
libc-2.11.1.so[7f09eaac1000+17a000]

Now I would like to know:

- What are the drawbacks of deleting the "lock" file in
my .opensync-0.22/group1 directory? That's what I did to force a
normal-sync instead a slow-sync, and if in the next future for some
reason a normal sync fails, and then the next sync is triggered to be a
slow-sync, I would not be able to do the sync unless I delete that file,
as far as I have understood

- Could the problem be related to the system (an issue in
libc-2.11.1.so, or related files), or to my data (Calendar, contacts,
ecc), or maybe both? I used to have many synchronized items, so I
thought that there was some limitation on that number, and tried to
delete some hundreds of them, but the problem is still present

Thank you to all of you who can give me some help,
Best wishes

Andrea Vai
2012-03-06 15:13:08 UTC
Hello All,
I get this error when I try to sync my PDA data with Evolution:

***@andrea-desktop:~$ msynctool --sync JJ2Evo
Synchronizing group "JJ2Evo"
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just connected
All clients connected or error
DEBUG:SynCE:get_changeinfo() called
INFO:SynCE:initiating device synchronization
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just sent all changes
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.384:/org/synce/SyncEngine:
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did
not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
DEBUG:dbus.proxies:Executing introspect queue due to error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py",
line 152, in get_changeinfo
self._TriggerSync()
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py",
line 117, in _TriggerSync
self.engine.Synchronize()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in
__call__
return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in
__call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 620, in
call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did
not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin had an error while getting
changes: Error during get_changeinfo() method
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members

As far as I know, I didn't change anything on my system from the time it
was working correctly (yesterday).
I already tried to reboot the PC and the PDA but with no luck.

Could anyone please help me to resolve, or at least troubleshoot, my
problem?

Running msynctool version "0.22" using OpenSync version "0.22" on Ubuntu
Lucid x64, and Windows Mobile 5 on an i-mate JasJar

Thank you very much, your help is really appreciated!
Andrea
Kal Sze
2012-10-29 02:51:43 UTC
Hello Again,

What happened to the synce-connector rpm for SLE 11 i586 on OBS? I don't
see it any more at
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mobile:/synchronization:/FACTORY/SLE_11/i586/.
Has it been absorbed into libsynce0-0.15.1-10.1.i586.rpm? Or into
synce-core (which is unresolvable for SLE 11 i586 on OBS)?

Best Regards,
Kal
Tejas
Mark Ellis
2011-05-12 19:03:23 UTC
I'm not into SUSE, the following answers are generic, but should apply.
Post by Kal Sze
Hello Tejas,
Thanks for making those available.
I still have quite a few questions below, so please bear with me. :P
As far as I can tell, Windows CE does not support RNDIS - even Ubuntu
only creates a ppp interface (not an eth interface) upon connecting
the device.
RNDIS is windows mobile 5 and later
Post by Kal Sze
So which packages do I need exactly? I only need the ability to list,
transfer, and delete files using the (synce-)pls, pcp, and prm
commands.
Then you need libsynce, librapi (and a tools package if it's packaged
this way), and synce-hal or synce-connector, sounds like it's connector
but built for hal.
Post by Kal Sze
I can tell that I probably need the libsynce, librapi2, and
synce-connector packages. synce-trayicon is optional for me, but it
will be useful for the users to know when a device is detected and
recognized. How about librra? Do I need those?
trayicon is completely optional, librra is for PIM syncing only, but is
required by trayicon
Post by Kal Sze
BTW, I'm a bit confused regarding hal support. You said the packages
are built with it, but I don't see any synce-hal rpm in the
repository. Has synce-hal been completely superseded by
synce-connector? I was never sure about that.
Yes, connector replaces hal. I retained hal support in connector mainly
because I didn't know what was replacing hal in *BSD and didn't want to
maintain two code bases.