Creating synce environment on the system
m***@accenture.com
2011-01-17 10:52:42 UTC
Hi ,

My name is mayank and I'm quite new to Linux, so please be patient with me and sorry if I post a question in the wrong place.

I am using ubuntu 10.10 (maverick) and trying to build a synce environment by referring to the following document.
http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceInstallation/Ubuntu/ModernDevice

As per this document I am able to create the partnerships but I am facing issues after this.

I am not able to install the following packages
multisync-tools
opensync-plugin-synce

? multisync-tools is not there in the synaptic manager, and apt-get install command says unable to locate.
? opensync-plugin-synce asks for a dependency opensync-module-python, which is not existing in synaptic manager and when manually installing the debian package for opensync-module-python, I am not able to resolve the internal dependencies.

Can anybody please help me in solving this issue.

Thanks & regards
Mayank Arora

Andrea Vai
2011-01-17 21:12:57 UTC
Hello Mayank, I have followed the document you mention, and
successfully got synchronization between my WM5 and Evolution
installing all from scratch on a Maverick system. The only thing I
noticed in my configuration is that I had added to the repos (I don't
know why, neither how much time ago) the PPA from
https://launchpad.net/~opensync/+archive/opensync-0.22 . I don't even
know if it matters, someone more expert than me perhaps could say if
adding it to your repos could solve your packages-related problems.

Best regards,
Andrea

m***@accenture.com
2011-01-18 11:01:17 UTC
Hi Andrea, Hi list,

Thanks for the reply.
As Suggested I tried adding the repos, and it helped me in installing the packages. But now when I am trying to sync after creating the partnership and adding group and member, I am facing the following issue.

***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ synce-list-partnerships

AVAILABLE DEVICE PARTNERSHIPS
Index Name Device Host SyncItems
----- ---- ------ ---- ---------

0 Linux desktop Pocket_PC mayank [Contacts Calendar ]

***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --listplugins
Available plugins:
synce-opensync-plugin
evo2-sync
***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --addgroup synce-sync
***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --addmember synce-sync synce-opensync-plugin
***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --addmember synce-sync evo2-sync
***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --sync synce-sync
Synchronizing group "synce-sync"
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
Member 4 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
Member 6 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
Member 7 of type evo2-sync had an error while connecting: Unable to open anything
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 6 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 4 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 3 of type evo2-sync had an error while connecting: Unable to open anything
Member 5 of type evo2-sync had an error while connecting: Unable to open anything
Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while connecting: Unable to open anything
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to connect one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to connect one of the members
***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$

if somebody faced the same issue please suggest how to resolve this issue.

Thanks & Regards

Mayank Arora

Roland Sommer
2011-01-18 18:04:50 UTC

first try if synce-pls is working.

Regards
Roland

Mark Ellis
2011-01-18 21:46:15 UTC
On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 12:01 +0100, ***@accenture.com wrote:
> Hi Andrea, Hi list,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> As Suggested I tried adding the repos, and it helped me in installing the packages. But now when I am trying to sync after creating the partnership and adding group and member, I am facing the following issue.
>
> ***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ synce-list-partnerships
>
> AVAILABLE DEVICE PARTNERSHIPS
> Index Name Device Host SyncItems
> ----- ---- ------ ---- ---------
>
> 0 Linux desktop Pocket_PC mayank [Contacts Calendar ]
>

> ***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --listplugins
> Available plugins:
> synce-opensync-plugin
> evo2-sync
> ***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --addgroup synce-sync
> ***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --addmember synce-sync synce-opensync-plugin
> ***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --addmember synce-sync evo2-sync
> ***@mayank:/usr/share/pyshared$ msynctool --sync synce-sync
> Synchronizing group "synce-sync"
> DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
> DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
> DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
> Member 4 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
> Member 6 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
> Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
> Member 7 of type evo2-sync had an error while connecting: Unable to open anything

You've managed to get multiple instances of the plugins in your sync
group. Delete the sync group, delete the partnership, and start again.

Mark

m***@accenture.com
2011-01-19 17:15:29 UTC
Hi Mark, Hi list,

Thanks for the reply.

As suggested the deleted all the partnerships and groups, and created new ones but I am still facing the same issue. Following is the output that comes on to the console.

***@mayank:~$ msynctool --addgroup mayank

***@mayank:~$ msynctool --addmember mayank synce-opensync-plugin

***@mayank:~$ msynctool --addmember mayank evo2-sync

***@mayank:~$ msynctool --sync mayank

Synchronizing group "mayank"

DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called

Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected

Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while connecting: Unable to open anything

DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called

Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected

All clients have disconnected

The sync failed: Unable to connect one of the members

DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called

Error while synchronizing: Unable to connect one of the members

***@mayank:~$

I am not able to understand what the highlighted message signifies. Is it like the package is not properly installed or some thing else.

I also wanted to know if any extra software/application is required on the evolution/desktop side for the synchronization to take place.

If anybody has any idea Please guide me how to proceed further.

Thanks & Regards

Mayank Arora

m***@accenture.com

Guido Diepen
2011-01-20 13:45:14 UTC
Hi Mayank,

Lionel
2011-01-20 14:26:29 UTC
Hi Mayank and list,
I supposed there is somewhere a bug in Evolution, but I have no Idea
where.
What has worked for me was to created empty new calendar, contact and
task in Evolution and sync that with the PDA (wich was more or less up
to date) after having totally cleaned and reinstalled synce and all the
plugin. The syc has worked and after that I just copy the few missing
element from a Calendar or contact to the other.
Lionel

Mark Ellis
2011-01-23 21:16:48 UTC
On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 13:37 +0100, ***@accenture.com wrote:
> Hi Mark, Hi list,
>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> As suggested the deleted all the partnerships and groups, and created
> new ones but I am still facing the same issue. Following is the output
> that comes on to the console.
>

> ***@mayank:~$ msynctool --addgroup mayank
>
> ***@mayank:~$ msynctool --addmember mayank synce-opensync-plugin
>
> ***@mayank:~$ msynctool --addmember mayank evo2-sync
>
> ***@mayank:~$ msynctool --sync mayank
>
> Synchronizing group "mayank"
>
> DEBUG:SynCE:Connect() called
>
> Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just connected
>
> Member 2 of type evo2-sync had an error while connecting: Unable to
> open anything

Looking into this, but it may take some time.

I think it's got something to do with a change in how the evolution data
is accessed, and the fact that a default source now no longer seems to
exist.